Wednesday 6 July 2011

Friendship is Magic Look and Tutorial - Applejack

Hullo everyone! I'm in a good mood today as it's the first time in about a week I haven't felt ill, yay!

I've decided to do a series of looks based on My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. Claire and I just discovered this amazing programme and we watched all the first series in a couple of days. We've been childishly going 'PPOOONNNIEESSS!!!!' to each other and then giggling madly. If you haven't seen it go watch it on youtube! The animation is beautiful, the stories are fun and all the main characters have proper, well rounded personalities which is rare for any kids programmes but especially one made for little girls. They're actually allowed to be different and disagree and it's shown that that's ok, you don't have to be exactly the same as your friends. Ahh I just love it :)

So this is my first look based on the character Applejack.



Applejack is one of my favourite ponies. She's down to earth, loyal, hard-working, fun, fair and kind. She works on her familie's apple farm and isn't quite as 'girly' as a lot of the other ponies, she still wants to look her best but isn't completely obsessed with her looks, she's too practical for that. So I wanted to keep the look quite simple and natural (well natural for me anyway!)

So here's my finished look!



Please follow under the cut for a step by step photo tutorial. This is only my second ever tutorial (my first was from over a year ago, you can find it here) it probably not amazing but I hope you enjoy it!


 

First I did my foundation, I used a sheer layer of Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation in shade 02.


I then added a bit of blush. I used Me Me Me's Pussy Cat lip and cheek tint (which is a blatant copy of Benefit's Benetint). I put 3 dots on the apples of my cheeks and blend, and then I repeated until I got my desired rosy cheeked affect. It looks lighter in the picture than in real life.

 

Then I used a bit of bronzer (Illamasqua's bronzer in Writhe) all over my face. I never usually use bronzer but for this look I wanted to be a bit darker and sunkissed.
Next I did my eyebrows. I just did them quite naturally, lightly brushing High Voltage Cosmetics eyebrow powder in Redhead over them and then brushing them into place using a clear brow gel from Primark. And then I started on my eyes. I used a sandy coloured shadow (Collection 2000 Dazzle Me loose shadow in Paradise) all over my lid, into the crease and out in a thick rounded shape on the outside of the eye, then I added just a tiny thin line along my lower lash line.


Then I took a bright, slightly shimmery orange (Barry M dazzle dust in 77 ) and added it to my outer v and swept it into the crease, blending a little (but probably not as much or as well as I should have :P) 


Then I added some black mascara



I then took a brown eyeliner pencil (17 eye pencil in soft brown) and lightly dotted it around my face in an attempt to look like I had more freckles


They were looking a bit harsh so I sort of patted them until they looked more natural

For the lips I took Mac Cockney lipstick (bright red with gold shimmer) and applied it very lightly, just patting it onto my lips with my finger. Then I popped some lipbalm over the top.


So then I had this


Finally I drew on Applejacks Cutiemark using a red lip pencil (Mac Cherry) and a lime green liquid eyeliner (Avon Colortrend in Limeade)


And here's the finished look again!


Thanks for reading all the way down here! :)

27 comments:

  1. That's really cute! Especially the apple--adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, such a good idea for a series! Really cute look, definitely fits for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally cute, love that you did the little apple too! I'm going to refrain from checking out the show. It sounds amazing, but my friends and family will have to kill me if I get sucked into ANOTHER tv show, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. that orangey color makes your blue eyes POPPPPPPPP!!! omg, so pretty

    Vonnie
    http://www.socialitedreams.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched part of the first episode and I love the animation style. I remember there being a different My Little Pony show on when I was little, but I don't remember watching it as I was more of a Ninja Turtles girl.

    And awesome job on your first tutorial. It was easy to follow and I like how you took a picture of each step. I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to applying makeup so it confuses me when some tutorials skip steps and I end up getting lost. But yours was awesome! And the faux freckles are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great. How fun! I actually LOVE this show so I'm excited to see some more ponies. I'd love to see Princess Celestia or Twilight Sparkle. Are you going to do a Spike the dragon look also?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is cute. =D My daughter and I love watching the new my little pony. It's pretty cute. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lillian! I love this!!! It's so cute! And the tutorial is great, lady, kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAAAAY PONIES!! I've been wanting to do some MLP:FIM inspired looks myself, hehe. Such a cute little show.

    Love your Applejack!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is cute! I'm looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, irony. I'm watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic right now. I'm already anticipating the second season. I want to know if the Cutie Mark Crusaders finally get their cutie marks. <3

    But, back on track. That orange color is lovely on you. It really, really brings out the lovely color of your eyes. The apple is an adorable addition, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the apple on your cheek :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, I LOVE this idea! I've only watched an ep of it or so (certain male fans of this show sorta turned me off it though lol) but I really think your look suits the character!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That orange makes your blue eyes stand out SO MUCH :D so damn pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. EEEEEE, that apple is adorable, PLEASE do more ponies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it, more poooooonnnniiiiieeeessss...please! :) I need to find that programme cause I love the little blighters!! What channel is it on?? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute! <3 I love the little apple, heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, love this series! This look is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is too adorable.
    Also I have to tell my sister to watch it, she loved the original my little ponies... she also still rides ponies for fun. Aw.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's cute. My favorite is Fluttershy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eeeeeee!!!!!!!!! Lillian this is so cute!! I tots see you as Fluttershy but I can't wait to see your Pinkie Pie. Pinkie Pie is my favorite! Your apple is perfect by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  22. how artful! colour of your skin doesn't look natural, but i suppose you need to have a very good camera to catch original tones... well thanks for inspiration again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello! I don't know if you remember me. I am the scary girl who only comes up to you when I am drunk (because I am terribly shy) and reminds you that JDC introduced us once. I am very sorry about that. I found your blog through London beauty review, it's really awesome. I am glad someone else loves MLP this much. You have inspired me and my friend to do some MLP looks ourselves. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. How can I *just* see this? Along with the Applejack tutorial! ^_^ I'm glad you enjoy the show, it really is a nice, refreshing cartoon.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to reply to every one i get.