Wednesday 14 April 2010

Quick Review of Paul and Joe's Nail Polish Remover

Ok i'm just going to go out and admit it straight away, i bought this purely because of the bottle. I know it's ridiculous but... well when you see it you might understand, it's so beautiful! While the rest of my room is very silly and circusy i want my dressing table to look vintage, like something from a 1950s magazine and Paul and Joe's aesthetic is just perfect for this.

 Firstly it comes in a lovely cardboard box, the pattern looks like retro wallpaper:


And here is the actual bottle:

Beautiful ain't it? I love the shaped glass and the delicately pink ridged lid and the beautiful pale raspberry colour of the liquid, so glamourous <3

So yeah, i basically bought it on the strength of its packaging, but i'm glad to have discovered that the product is actually very good. In fact i can honestly say it is the best nail varnish remover i have ever used. Basically it's great because you only need a tiny bit to remove all your polish. The polish comes out of quite a small hole (about the size of a 5 pence piece) so i tip it up onto a cotton pad and it will leave a circle of remover the size of the hole. It only takes about 3 of these little circles to remove all the polish from one hand, even glitter polish! In fact it's brilliant at removing glitter polish, usually i struggle horribly with it (often i end up naughtily nibbling my polish off), but with the Paul and Joe it comes off just like other polishes (though it does take a little more remover than regular polish). Also, while this does still have an undernote of the classic acetone scent, it's the only remover i've tried that has a perfume. It's floral and nice, and when i've done taking my polish off my nails smell like the perfume, not like the acetone. When i usually have taken my polish off i often forget and eat things with my fingers and the taste of chemicals gets on my food but that doesn't happen with this.

However at the end of the day it's just a nail polish remover and while it is better than others it is no miracle. They all serve the same purpose and unless you're a millionaire i think it would be foolish to buy this at its price instead of a cheaper bogstandard one.

This retails for £9.75 for 100ml which, yes, is ludicrously expensive for nail varnish remover. I certainly wouldn't repurchase it, even though it is a very good remover, but i'm very glad to have it. I have a stunning bottle to refill with whatever remover i choose and the remover it comes with looks like it will last a good while.

(i also own the makeup remover which comes in the same gorgeous bottle, i'll be reviewing it soon up against a lot of other high and low end makeup removers :P)

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm actually tempted now to get it just for that bottle too! It really is very pretty :3

    I use Zoya Remove+ for my nail polish removing needs, and I love it! It doesn't dry my nails out and it doesn't have that overpowering smell that some nail polish removers have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that bottle is gorgeous! it's nice to have expensive treats once in a while, i'd probably consider it just for the packaging too haha :) lovely review xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. verry pretty bottle, but I have to say, I'm so lazy with nail polish remover so i get wahtevers on sale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bottle reminds me of Arthurian legend or something :) like something that should be on a vanity in a castle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was perfume at first! The bottle is lovely :). xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is the most decadently beautiful nail polish remover bottle i have ever seen! I totally don't blame you for buying it. I would probably use it up and then fill it with colored water just to keep it on my vanity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, such cool packaging! Bt I think I'll stick to the cheapo drugstore brands when it comes to nail polish remover for now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul and Joe have the cutest packaging! Gotta love that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bottle alone is worth what you paid :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like Paul $ Joe's packaging and want to try their products but sadly they don't have stores in CA. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I nominated you for a blog award here :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bottle is worth it! I love thoughtful packaging.I mean if you are going to pay higher prices they should give you something cute to keep.

    Paul&Joe are great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to reply to every one i get.