Friday 11 February 2011

Illamasqua Throb Manicure semi-tutorial

It's a semi tutorial because I am too rubbish to even have done this manicure very well, so I can't expect anyone to be able to follow my rubbish instructions! But still, I thought you might like to have a look :)

Here is the original:


Illamasqua actually made a tutorial of how they did this, you can see it here. I couldn't do it that way because I don't have any false nails.

And here is my take:

I don't have a cream or plain black nail polish (well I have a black one, but it's very old and has gone too gloopy to use. I must get some thinner!). Illamasqua used their new 'Load' and 'scorn' polishes for this cream and matte black look. So instead I used Models Own 'Snow White' and Eyeko Vampire polish, which is a lovely black with red shimmer. 

Please go under the cut to see the steps I took :)


Here's my natural nail:

I used a normal cheap old cardboard nail file to file my nails to a point. Not super pointy though, hard to explain :/ I also put on a base coat.


Then I painted the whole thing with the white polish


  And finally I painted on the heart. I drew the 'top' of the heart (the bumpy parts, not the point) with the Vampire polish using a manicure stick (having a nail art pen or brush would have been so much better!). I don't have a photo of this step because my Mum's camera just didn't take one that wasn't blurry. There wasn't much to show though, I just drew the outline of the heart. Then I filled it in all the way to the point of the nail. 

 

...And I couldn't even get a good photo of it either! Damn that camera! X/

I LOVED the way it looked, I thought it was so cute. But I had to take it off pretty much straight away, I couldn't cope having the pointy nail! I hate square nails too, I need a nice gentle round nail to be happy. I might actually try it again with my normal round nail to see how it looks.

Killer Colours recently tried it herself, but using her normal square nails, it looks pretty good too! Also she did it all freehand, damn her and her talent!

7 comments:

  1. !! I probably wouldnt be able to handle the pointy nail as well but Im sure the rounded heart would be just as cute =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this looks really cute! I wish my nails were long enough to do this on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the preference for round nails, I love how you did this look, maybe I'll try with falsies since my nails are so short right now (that is, if I can remember where I put them).

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE pointed nails. I used to have mega long ones but they broke and I got tired of not being able to type properly. Nubbin's for me for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh I can't believe you made your real nails into the shape! That's so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! I love the throb nails :)
    I started making some heart false nails like in the video a few days ago. It took me so long to make just one of them! I don't think I'd be able to keep them on long either, I'd probably accidentely point myself in the eye or something :S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these are awesome nails! I am so terrible at doing nails, I wouldn't even attempt this! Even when I paint my nails one colour, I never have the patience for it and it looks like a five year old did it!!! I love that you even shaped the nails to a point....NICE!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to reply to every one i get.